Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Brown Sugar Squares
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
Stir together egg, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Sift together the flour, soda, and salt in another bowl. Quickly stir into egg mixture. Add nuts and spread in pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Cookies should be soft in center, will harden a little as they cool. Cut into squares.
(picture from beckyhiggins.com)
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Honey-Mustard Glazed Chicken
2 pounds of your favorite cut of chicken, boned or boneless*
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 recipe Honey Mustard Glaze
Honey Mustard Glaze-- In a bowl stir together:
¼ cup honey
1 tablespoon Dijon-Style mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon butter, melted.
1. Place chicken, bone side down, in shallow roasting pan. Brush with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Roast chicken, uncovered, in a 325° oven for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours or until juices run clear and chicken is no longer pink (170°), brushing with Honey-Mustard Glaze several times during the last 15 minutes of roasting. heat any remaining glaze. Serve warm glaze with chicken.
*Boneless chicken never takes as long to cook, so be sure to adjust your cook time.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
This recipe says to use the broiler but I just plugged in my George Foreman Grill.
Southwest-Style Chicken Burgers
1 slightly beaten egg
1/4 cup finely crushed nacho-flavor or plain tortilla chips
3 tablespoons finely chopped green sweet pepper
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound uncooked ground chicken
2 oz Pepper Jack cheese, sliced
4 hamburger buns, toasted
4 lettuce leaves
1/ 4 cup bottled salsa
1. In a medium bowl combine egg, tortilla chips, green pepper, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken; mix well. (mixture will be wet). Shape chicken mixture into four 3/4 inch-thick round patties.
2. Place patties on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from the heat 14-18 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once halfway through broiling time. Top burger with cheese. Broil for 1 minute more or until cheese melts.
3. Serve burgers on toasted rolls; top with lettuce and salsa (and avocado if you like).
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Split chicken breast, cooked, off the bone
Half of chicken broth, from cooking the chicken
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 small cans of Rotel tomatoes
2 or 3 cans of white pinto beans
1 taco seasoning packs
1 packs of Ranch Dressing Mix
2 cans of sweet corn drained
1 Onion, dices
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup diced celery
Sour Cream, for garnish
Shredded Cheese, for garnish
Tortilla Chips, for serving
Once your chicken is off the bone place in a stock pot or slow cooker along with remaining ingredients. Simmer until desired temperature is reached.
Top with sour cream and cheese
Serve with tortilla chips.